B. Ellen Byrne, R.Ph., D.D.S., Ph.D.
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1991
- Certificate in Endodontics, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1990
- D.D.S., Virginia Commonwealth University, 1983
- B.S. in Pharmacy, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1977
- American Association of Endodontists
- American College of Dentists
- American Dental Association
- Fellow, Pierre Fauchard Academy
- International College of Dentists
- Virginia Dental Association
Dr. Byrne completed her B.S. in Pharmacy in 1977. For the next two years she was an instructor in the School of Pharmacy. She then enrolled in the School of Dentistry, graduated in 1983, and went on to complete a General Practice Residency at McGuire Veterans Hospital. She returned to the School of Dentistry in the Department of Restorative Dentistry.
Wanting to combine her dental and pharmacy backgrounds, she applied to the NIH for a Dentist Scientist Award. The award helped her to continue her education, and over the next five years she combined her training to receive a Ph.D. in Pharmacology and Toxicology and a certificate in Endodontics.
After a brief time in private Endodontics practice, she returned to the School of Dentistry as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Endodontics. She has served as Interim Chair of Endodonics and is now a Professor.
Dr. Byrne has used her pharmacology background to provide pharmacology continuing education to the dental community. She has enjoyed numerous local, state and national speaking engagements, including the American Dental Association (ADA) and the American Association of Endodontists (AAE). She has served as Chair of the Continuing Education Committee for the Virginia Dental Association. She is a past member of the Research and Scientist Affairs Committee for the AAE. She is a past member of, and current consultant to, the ADA’s Council of Scientific Affairs – the council responsible for product reviews and setting the research agenda for the ADA.
Dr. Byrne is from Bedford, Virginia and lives in Richmond with her husband and three children.
- Educational evaluations
- Curricula development