History and mission
The School of Dentistry was created in 1893 when the University College of Medicine
opened with a dental department as one of its original divisions. The Medical College
of Virginia inaugurated a dental education program in 1897, and in 1913 the two
programs merged to form the MCV School of Dentistry.
In 1968, by an act of the Virginia General Assembly, the Medical College of Virginia
merged with Richmond Professional Institute to form Virginia Commonwealth University.
The School of Dentistry is located at the VCU Medical Center.
Consistent with the university’s mission, the School of Dentistry’s
programs are guided by the following mission statement:
- Education of highly qualified dental professionals
- Research that advances the understanding of oral health, disease and effective treatment
- Service to the community
- Improved oral and general health of our patients and the general population