Faculty and staff directory"1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
Oonagh Loughran, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., University College Dublin, 1992
- B.Sc., University College Dublin, 1987
Dr Loughran joined the faculty in 2013. She has a background in cancer research with a PhD from University College Dublin, followed by several years of post doctoral research at the Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Glasgow and the University of Glasgow where her research focused on identifying molecular pathways for drug targeting in cancer.
Prior to joining VCU Dr Loughran worked with Scottish Enterprise as the strategic program manager for translational and clinical medicine. In this role she built research networks across Scottish academia, health care providers and global industry. Dr Loughran has an interest in the commercialization of new technologies and served as a member of an investment committee that committed over $15 million seed funding to a wide range of university technologies including medical devices, diagnostics and drug discovery.
Dr Loughran works with faculty members to develop and fund new research ideas and commercial projects. Her personal research is exporing the interplay between bacteria and viruses in the development of cancer.
- Interplay between bacteria and virus in the development of cancer
- The development of the research and educational programs of the School of Dentistry
- Identification and development of commercial opportunities