Richard D. Archer, D.D.S., M.S.
Associate dean of clinical dental education, professor
Lyons Dental Building
520 North 12th Street
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0566
Phone: (804) 628-1552
Fax: (804) 828-1373
- Certificate in Endodontics, The Ohio State University, 1990
- M.S., The Ohio State University, 1990
- D.D.S., University of Maryland, 1982
- B.A. in Biochemistry, Wake Forest University, 1977
- American Board of Endodontics
- American Association of Endodontists
- American Dental Association
- Virginia Dental Association
Dr. Archer earned his D.D.S. degree from The University of Maryland School of Dentistry in 1982. He was sponsored by the United States Navy for specialty training and graduated from The Ohio State University College of Dentistry in 1990 with a Certificate in Endodontics and a M.S. degree. Following eleven years as a Navy Dental Officer, Dr. Archer was active in private practice for 17 years in Chesapeake, Virginia. While teaching in the Navy GPR program at Naval Hospital Portsmouth, Virginia, Dr. Archer served as a part-time faculty member at the VCU School of Dentistry. He continued as an adjunct faculty member for 19 years before joining the faculty full-time in 2009. Dr. Archer achieved his board certification in 2011 and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Endodontics.
Since joining the faculty, Dr. Archer has worked extensively in preparing dental students for the licensure board examinations. He worked with both Acadental Inc. and the Southern Regional Testing Agency to develop a simulated plastic tooth that could replace extracted teeth for endodontic procedure testing. This tooth was successfully implemented into the examination this year. Dr. Archer was recently appointed to the Examination Committee of the American Board of Dental Examiners.
- Endodontics testing for state board examinations
- Instrumentation and irrigation
- Local anesthesia