Harvey A. Schenkein, D.D.S., Ph.D.
Paul Tucker Goad Professor
Assistant dean for research
Director, Clinical Research Center for Periodontal Disease
Chair, Department of Periodontics
Wood Memorial Building
521 North 11th Street
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0566
Phone: (804) 828-9185
Fax: (804) 828-5787
- Ph.D. in Biology, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1978
- Certificate in Periodontics, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1978
- D.D.S., State University of New York at Buffalo, 1974
- B.S., State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1970
Dr. Schenkein received the D.D.S., Ph.D. and certificate in periodontics from the State University of New York at Buffalo, after which he joined the VCU Department of Periodontics faculty in 1978. He directed the postgraduate program in periodontics from 1983-86, and has served as director of the VCU Clinical Research Center for Periodontal Disease and assistant dean for research since 1986.
Dr. Schenkein received both the Clinical Research Award from the American Academy of Periodontology and the Basic Research in Periodontal Disease Award from the International Association for Dental Research, and was named a Virginia Outstanding Scientist in 2004. He has published more than 100 full-length scientific and clinical articles and book chapters.
- Genetic risk for periodontal diseases
- Iimmunobiology of periodontal diseases
- Periodontal infection and systemic diseases