Sharon K. Lanning, D.D.S.
Wood Memorial Building
521 North 11th Street
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0566
Phone: (804) 828-7951
Fax: (804) 828-0657
- Certificate in Periodontics, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1999
- D.D.S., State University of New York at Buffalo, 1996
- B.A. in Biochemistry, Canisius College, 1992
- American Board of Periodontology
Dr. Lanning provides clinical and didactic instruction to both undergraduate and graduate students. She serves as course director for a periodontal course focusing on periodontal pathogenesis and treatment. Her outstanding teaching has earned her several awards.
She is an active member of several committees in the department, school and university. Dr. Lanning is a member of regional and national organizations including the American Dental Association, Virginia Dental Association, Virginia Society of Periodontology, American Dental Education Association and American Academy of Periodontology, and has held leadership positions within many of these organizations. She has served as an invited speaker at annual conferences of the AAP and ADEA, where she is currently a fellow in its Leadership Institute.
Dr. Lanning maintains a private practice limited to periodontics within VCU’s faculty practice. She is a published author in peer-reviewed journals focusing on teaching effectiveness. She also completed extensive professional development programs through the University of Michigan, School of Medicine and Academy of Academic Leadership, Institute of Teaching and Learning. Dr. Lanning and her husband, David, have two children and enjoy spending time with family and friends.
- Implementation and evaluation of educational programs and curricula thorugh the use of outcome assessment instruments such as knowledge surveys, satisfaction surveys, and evaluation criteria.