The VCU School of Dentistry continues to accept students into its Advanced Standing
Program in addition to those selected for its International
For the Advanced Standing Program, a foreign-trained dentist may be considered for
a class opening in the D2 year if they meet similar criteria required for the IDP
and if a D2 class position is available. An admissions committee will judge the
merits of each candidate on an individual basis.
The advanced standing application process begins Jan. 15 and concludes April 1.
Please review the following application procedure listed below to submit a completed
- Complete the advanced standing application
- NBDE Part I
- You must send your official NBDE Part I score directly to our program.
Educational Credential Evaluators report
- You must send your official TOEFL score directly to our program. The TOEFL iBT test
(Internet-based test with a spoken language section) is mandatory. You will need
to have a minimum total score of 94 on the iBT and a minimum of
20 in each of the four sections. All applicants are required to take the TOEFL and
send an official report to VCU.
- You must send your official ECE
report directly to our program.
- Please send original mark sheets or transcripts that have been evaluated
by ECE directly to our program.
Three letters of evaluation – two from dental school faculty
and one from a U.S. dentist.
Proof of residency
- Applicants with a four-year education need to show proof of completion of an internship
after graduation. A year’s private practice is not acceptable.
Passport picture (2" x 2")
- Program prefers candidates who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Send a
copy of your immigration document (U.S. passport, permanent resident card or visa)
directly to our program.
- $80 check or signed money order made payable to VCU School of Dentistry.
Please send your completed advanced standing application packet to:
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of Dentistry
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 980566
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0566