Please submit the following information.
- CAAPID application
- NBDE Parts I and II
- You must send your official NBDE Part I and Part II scores to ADEA CAAPID.
- TOEFL score
- You must send your official TOEFL score directly to our program. The TOEFL iBT test
(Internet-based test with a spoken language section) is mandatory. You will need
to have a minimum total score of 94 on the iBT and a minimum
of 20 in each of the four sections. All applicants are required to take the TOEFL
and send an official report to VCU. The VCU International Dentist Program TOEFL code is 4444,
department code 38.
- Educational Credential Evaluators report
- You must send your official ECE
report to ADEA CAAPID.
- Transcripts and diploma
- You must submit official transcripts from your dental program and any other post graduate studies or other original higher education transcripts. You should also submit a copy of your dental school diploma. Send these items directly to the VCU International Dentist Program.
- Internship certification
- Applicants with a four-year education need to show proof of completion of an internship
after graduation. A year’s private practice is not acceptable.
- Copy of dental license
- Personal statement
- You should submit a one page statement to ADEA CAAPID.
- Letters of evaluation
- You are required to submit three letters of evaluation to ADEA CAAPID. One letter of evaluation should come from the dean and one from a faculty member of the dental school from which you graduated. The third letter should come from a dentist practicing in the United States who supervised or worked with you in a clinical or educational setting.
- Proof of residency
- The program prefers candidates who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents but will consider all residency statuses. Send a
copy of your immigration document (U.S. passport, permanent resident card or visa)
directly to our program.
- One passport picture (2" x 2")
- Application fee
- $80 check or signed money order made payable to VCU School of Dentistry
You MUST include your full legal name, address, telephone number and email address
with every mailing sent to the VCU International Dentist Program. Send
all information to the following address:
Attn: Dr. Gottlieb
International Dentist Program
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of Dentistry
520 North 12th Street
P.O. Box 980566
Richmond, Virginia 23298-0566
Please allow 72 hours for our staff to process your application before contacting
our office. We will contact you and let you know that your application has been
Once the candidate’s application is received in our office, it is then reviewed
and a decision is made on whether or not an interview will be granted. We highly
discourage applicants calling our office to find out the status of their application.
Applicants who successfully complete Part I of the application process and are considered
potential candidates will be required to participate in an interview led by faculty
members at the VCU School of Dentistry, as well as a bench test using mannequins
in the preclinical laboratory. Applicants will be required to pay a non-refundable
bench test fee when confirming their interview.
A dental school is a professional environment and candidates are expected to dress
accordingly. Men should wear suits or sport coats with ties and women should wear
suits or dresses. Attire such as blue jeans, miniskirts, shorts, flip-flops and
tennis shoes are not recommended.
Bench test preparatory course
VCU offers a
Bench Test Preparatory Course in restorative dentistry for international
dentists. For three days, participants will develop a working portfolio of their
work in restorative dentistry that may be used in an admission process for dental
programs. The course is not required nor does it guarantee admission to any dental